Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Week 39-Transfer 5



Hey familia! can you believe that I have 3 more days till my 9 month mark?! I also am finishing up el Libro de Mormon either today or tomorrow! I admit, I am not fluent yet which is a bit sad, but my Spanish reading skills and accent have definitely improved:) There is a brother in our ward who is from Mexico who says that I have a bit of an Argentine accent when I speak. Haha:) No idea where that would come from! This transfer has literally just flown by! It must be because it is so different from the Visitor Center but it has been the fastest transfer so far. We should get transfer news this Sunday so I'll let you know. 

This week has been super fun with the fourth of July and everything. We had a huge 4th of July picnic at our ward mission leaders house and there were so many non members that came! One lady came who we had tracted into and randomly invited. She knew a few members who were visiting and dragged them along with her. She is such a sweet old lady and I think she just wants some friends. Our ward, thankfully is really good at making people feel welcome and they told her they would see her at church. We went over a few days later to invite her to church and the members were outside painting the window trim and they said that she had asked them 3 times if they would take her to church on Sunday, and she showed up! She stayed for all 3 meetings which was really good cause in Relief Society they talked all about Visiting Teaching and loving each other which is all she really wants I think. She hasn't agreed to take the lessons yet but I think we will just keep going over there and inviting her to things and finding fellowship for her. 

We also had a family come who have started taking lessons before but have been so busy with a wedding that they haven't had time for a while. We did not expect them to show up but they did and they brought the whole family! They said that they really enjoyed themselves and I think they will come to a meeting that we are having for investigators on Wednesday too. I love this ward so much! They are all so fun. There were so many people that went up and talked to the non members there and helped them feel included. There are these two twins in young womens who are really awesome at that. When we introduced them to the girls in the Crawley family (our investigators), they took them out with them on the Kayak and made sure they had a good time. I have realized that if nothing else, I am going to be a better member missionary when I get home. 

So the rules here are that we are not allowed to proselyte after 5pm on the 4th of July. So after 5 our zone got together and decided that we were going to see some fireworks! First we all went to McDonalds to get the 99 cent big macs that they were doing (You know how much I love McDonalds...:P) then we went and got to see the fireworks over the ocean! It was so pretty! I have to say it was a pretty memorable 4th. 

Tracting remains interesting here in Kahala. We saw some pretty amazing houses this week. One of them reminded me so much of the house in the "Sound of Music." It reminded me to have confidence just like Maria does;). It's too bad so many of them are gated. One guy that opened the door was like, "what's all this?!" I said with a big smile, "Hi I'm sister Rowley and this is sister Hoskins and we are representatives of Jesus Christ and he has sent us here to leave a blessing of peace and comfort with you and your family may we take a moment of your time and say a prayer with you?" "What?!" he said, "Who sent you?!" "Jesus!" I exclaimed. Unfortunately he didn't go for that...Oh well. A lot of people do and it's so cool to see the change in them even if they don't accept the missionaries. 

This Sunday was really cool because the Sunday school teacher of the 16-17 year olds asked us to come in and teach about the Apostasy during her class. In her class there happens to be this girl from Austria who is a non member and who has been asking a lot of questions about the church. We gave her a Book of Mormon in German and she is reading it now. We talk to her every time we see her but she hasn't agreed to take the lessons yet. The twins I talked about earlier have become really good friends with her. Anyways, did we want to come in and teach the first half of the first discussion in class with Sonya? Why yes I think we did! It was really good too I think. She asks really good questions and seemed to be taking everything in. We gave her the Restoration DVD to watch and the twins said they would watch it with her with popcorn:) I hope things go well there. 

I'm sorry i've seemed a bit discouraged in my past few letters. I really do love it here. It is sad when investigators don't keep commitments and makes you wonder what you are doing wrong, what could you teach them better? But really it is all between them and God and He is in control. I am so grateful for every experience that I get to have. I love the people we are teaching, I love the ward and I love all that I am learning from them and my companion. Sister Hoskins has been so great and we get along so well. I love her sense of humor and how hard she is willing to work. She knew this area like the back of her hand when I came in which was super helpful. I i'm so grateful for my Heavenly Father and for all that he has been teaching me. I am learning so much about my Savior than ever before. I love this gospel! Thank you so much for your love and support! I really do love you all so much and I pray for you always:) Thanks for being the best family ever!

Les Quiero,
Hermana Rowley

P.S. I just got a letter in the mail from Hermana Flores. She is from Mexico and as of right now is the only other Spanish Speaking sister on the mission. She is native though. Although I had heard a lot about her, I met her at the last Zone Conference for the first time and she just wrote me a whole letter in Spanish! And I can read it!!!!! So that's super fun:) 

Thanks for the comment about the Zoo mom....Here are some more pics for you:) 



My new mission pres & his wife

Marie, the investigator we that showed up 






No comments:

Post a Comment