Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Week 12-Transfer 1

Aloha y hola!

Well it's the first day of 2013! Let me tell you, Hawaiians sure know how to bring in the New Year! Fireworks, floating lanterns, food, food and food! But you know what? All that food is totally ok because of what it says in Proverbs 28:25. It just means that I am putting my trust in the Lord:). Us missionaries got to stay up till one and then sleep in till 8 today. I'm so not used to that any more! It was so fun though! Thank you so much for my Christmas present! I absolutely loved listening to everyone! I almost want to send the recorder back home so you can do it again:) It was so good to talk to you all on Christmas day too! I'm so glad that Melissa got to come home for Christmas! What a fun surprise!
This week is going to be another good one! We kind of get 2 P-Days this week cause of New Years and tomorrow since I kind of just got here, I get to go to the PCC Island Feast and Night Show with Sister Mckinney and one of the Senior Couples! This last week I got to go to the temple too because this month was temple month and I missed it when every one else went. Here at the center we go every other month. It was so cool to see all the windows in the doors and stuff and know that my parents helped on those!:) They look really great! This temple is super small but so beautiful! Did you know that it was the 5th oldest built?! 

So with Pauli, things are going a bit slower. Satan sure is working hard on that girl! Last Thurs. we were teaching her and she really freaked out. We asked her if she was reading and praying and she said that she just can't over and over, "no puedo." She says that ever since she started meeting with us she feels like her life is getting harder and she liked how it was before. We explained about opposition in all things and that everytime there is good, Satan is going to try to counter that. We asked her about how she felt when she prayed before, that she had told us that she felt Heavenly Father was listening to her and forgave her of her sins. She said that she just doesn't know any more. We explained that this is something that she has to know for herself. That we knew it was true and we could tell her that all we wanted, but she needed to pray to Heavenly Father and ask Him if it is true. We talked about how Heavenly Fathers plan includes the gift of agency and that we can't force her to do anything but that she needs to choose for herself. Well anyway, in the end she told us that she didn't want to talk with us anymore because she felt like everytime she met with us we would "convince" her and she didn't want to be a Mormon. She said it wasn't forever, just for now. That nearly broke both of our hearts. It's so hard to know how good this message is and how much she needs it and have to just wait for her to understand that. We have been praying so hard for her since then and then on Sunday we decided to call her. When we called she thanked us for calling and seemed so excited to talk to us and said that she wanted to meet with us again. Not to teach, just to talk. What a miracle though! We're going to see her sometime today or tomorrow. Please pray for her! 

It's amazing to see the miracles that happen everyday whether on tram tours, in the Visitor Center, or teaching. It's so cool to see someone come in and then decide they want to meet with the missionaries or read and pray more or something like that. The Hawaii Honolulu Mission is also full of miracles by itself. I am so blessed to be here! 

As far as my Spanish goes, It does get a bit frustrating at times. I only have the rest of this transfer with Sister Rodriguez and then she goes home! I'm so far from being fluent and when Spanish people do come in and she talks with them, I only catch bits of the conversation. I am lucky to be in the visitor center where we can spend some language times watching The Testaments, The Joseph Smith movie, and others in Spanish. I pray every day for the gift of tongues and try so hard. I honestly have no idea why I was called to be Spanish speaking here in a place where the few we do see that are Spanish understand English too. I don't know why the Lord would want me, someone who has had no experience speaking Spanish before, to come here to teach in Spanish, but I know that just like for Pauli and everyone else, the Lord does have a plan for me and I don't know how or when, but just like Nephi, I am going to go forward, not knowing beforhand what the Lord would have me do. This Gospel is so true and the Atonement is so real! I am so grateful to have gained such a strong testimony of that in the MTC so that now when I need it more than ever, my faith and my God will not fail me. I love this Gospel and am so grateful for the blessings that it has brought me! This new year is going to be a great one! I love you all so much and I am so grateful for the faith and love you have shown me. I pray every day that I can be the kind of missionary my family thinks I am and that the Lord expects me to be. 

Les Amo!
Hermana Rowley (Shayla)





No comments:

Post a Comment